Our Charitable Status
The Lowry is a registered charity (number 1053962). As a charity, we are committed to using the visual and performing arts to enrich people’s lives. We offer audiences of all ages new and extraordinary experiences in live theatre, opera, musical theatre, dance, music, comedy and visual art. This hugely diverse programme of events, activities and exhibitions seek to expand the horizons of audiences and artists alike.
At the heart of The Lowry is a commitment to our local communities and young people. Tapping into the work on our stages and in our galleries, we offer thousands of free creative participation opportunities each year. We are passionate about nurturing talent, developing creative professionals of the future and raising aspirations.
How do we fund our work?
The Lowry is a not-for-profit organisation and registered charity (number 1053962). That means all profit is ploughed back into our work. Whether you've bought a ticket to a performance, given an online donation, eaten at The Lowry Restaurant, bought a gift in our shop, or simply had a drink at the Terrace bar, you've helped support our charitable aims.
We receive 6% income from public funds - Arts Council England and Salford City Council. The remaining income is generated from Box Office, Commercial Activities and Fundraised income. Our Development (fundraising team) generates income from Charitable Trusts & Foundations, individual membership schemes (including Friends and Patrons) as well as from companies through our Quay Club Membership and corporate sponsorships.
Why is The Lowry a Charity?
- The Lowry brings the highest quality visual and performing art to Salford
- The Lowry breaks down barriers for new audiences to be inspired by great art
- The Lowry supports communities
- The Lowry nurtures talent in young people
- The Lowry develops artists and commissions new work
- The Lowry raises aspirations and provides real routes to employment
- The Lowry provides free creative opportunities for families and children
- The Lowry offers an extensive curriculum based schools and teachers programme