- Events at The Lowry
- Week 53 - Girl Gang Manchester: Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
Week 53 - Girl Gang Manchester: Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
Join Girl Gang for an immersive celebration of the 90’s slacker gal classic celebrating lifelong friendships, repairing youthful wounds and reminding us all that it’s OK to be awesomely average.
Scroll down for full event details and workshop booking links.
*KLAXON* Last entry is at 8pm *KLAXON*
Two inseparable friends return to their high school reunion armed with a poorly conceived plan to impress their former classmates.
Using decor, performers, workshops, speakers, participation, party bags, dressing up, dancing and much much more (!), Girl Gang create fun, meaningful, accessible events encouraging creativity, collaboration, confidence and community.
Expect big wows, business woman specials, a fun and frisky use of colour, and a totally tremendous time!
5pm: Doors Open
Immersive elements from the film and drop in workshops 5pm- 8.30pm
● The Sagebrush High Roundup: Bring your old school photos to contribute to our giant yearbook!
● "What Does This Remind You Of?": Race your mates and see who can do the fastest kilometre on our exercise bikes.
● "Who Will I Have Sex With At The Reunion Tonight?": Discover what will become of you once you’re a grown up by making a throwback paper fortune teller.
● "I Invented Post Its": Share the stupidest lie you've ever told on our confession board.
● "You're The Funnest Person I Know": Bind yourself to your best pal, or befriend a perfect stranger by making them a homemade friendship bracelet. (£1 donation for materials)
● "This Is The Cutest We've Ever Looked": Get your picture taken in Ramon’s car, complete with headscarf and sunglass accessories.
● "I’m Sorry, I Couldn’t Find My Top” What do you wear to order the Businesswoman Special? We’re here to help you find out. Bookable style advice slots with Smart Works, a charity who provide interview clothes for women who can’t afford them in Manchester.
● Definitely Not The A Group: Roaming Characters and Pop Up Performances from our gal pals at Pull Your Finger Out Productions.
● “That’s It, We Can Just Pretend to Be Successful!” Adulting, life hacks and top tips roaming podcast recorded in collaboration with Brown Girls Do It.
● Jelly Beans, Candy Corns and a Business Woman Special: Themed food and cocktails from the movie.
● Have a Romy and Michele Day!: Girl Gang signature party bags, filled to the brim with merchandise, vouchers, treats and Romy and Michele-inspired goodies.
6pm-6.50pm: First round of limited capacity bookable workshops.
● “I’ll Dance with You, Romy” Best Pals Dance Workshop! Learn how to dance away the disappointment of there being no cuties in the club time after time!
● “What’s the Point of Going If We’re Not Going to Impress People?” Stop comparing yourself to others and recognise the small things you do everyday that build up to someone totally impressive. Let's "go back out there as ourselves, and just have fun like we always do. The hell with everyone else.”
● “Wow, We Have a Whole Class of Inventors!” An idea generation and thought structuring workshop using post it notes.
● “Isn’t It Weird When You’re Not Friends with Your Friends Anymore” A class in building and nurturing resilient life long friendships.
● “You Paid a Whole Dollar for That?” Bring garments along to take part in our clothes customisation and basic sewing skills workshop.
7pm-7.50pm: Second round of limited capacity bookable workshops
Immersive elements from the film and drop in workshops continue.
8pm: Last Entry
9pm: Speeches and surprises
● "Ooh, college, good one!" Academic and cultural introduction from Dr Kirsty Fairclough, Head of Media and Performance at The University of Salford.
9.15pm: Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion screening
11.15pm: Reunion Party!
● "Of course we're the only ones who don't look like we're going to a hoedown": Let loose on the dance floor to the best 80’s and 90’s female fronted anthems. DJ’d by Thirsty Girls Collective.